Monday, July 13, 2009

Mi piace l'Italia - Civitavecchia, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri, Anacapri (Part 4)

So here is the last part of Italy.

The next day I went to Capri and Anacapri.  These were by far my favorite places in Italy.  We took the hydrofoil ferry to Carpri and took a bus to Anacapri (we had the same tour guides as in Pompeii and Sorrento).  We took a bus up a windy road on the edge of the mountain up to a chair lift (our bus passed a us that Mel and Alexis and maybe Tim were on and I saw Mel standing on the bus).  The chair lift was my favorite part in Italy.  They were single chairs that were just like someone took a chair and put a bar across it.  It was a little over 10 min up and a little over 10 min down with about 15 min to spend at the top walking around the little area.  SAS really takes over these places when we arrive.  When we were going down on the chair lift I just saw all SAS going up passing me.  There were teachers and students and other staff (I video taped it all).  It was so amazing, I could have stayed up there for so much longer.  It was a little scary standing in line anticipating, but once the chair takes off, it was AMAZING!!!!  Then we had a little shopping time (like 15 min) ate lunch at this cute restaurant that overlooked Capri and had a little more shopping time (like 15 more min).  Then we had the option of free time or going on this private (just our group) boat around the caves and getting to swim in the water.  I didn’t bring my bathing suit because it didn’t say anything about swimming, so that was kind of sad, but it was still a really nice boat ride.  We didn’t go to the blue grado (spelling?) because it was expensive and would take too long (especially the wait) but we got to see these other areas that were beautiful.  The types of rocks that were around the edge made the water so pretty and it was really clear.  One of the areas turned the water kind of purple.  And there was one part by a cave that had baby orange coral that was really bright and pretty.  So after that we took the ferry back to the port and walked to out ship.  Remember how the description talked about strenuous walking?  Well that was the most walking we did the whole time.  Those like 5-10 min from the ferry to the ship on flat land.  We’re not really sure where they got that description from because it was really not necessary to wear sneakers, but better safe than sorry.  So we got back to the ship, ate dinner, took a big ship picture from the port and watched us depart from Naples.  Mel gave Nhesthy her sweater to hold at one point for some reason so in all of those pictures he’s holding her white sweater.   He kept very good care of it.

Ok, so I have officially finished talking about my time in Italy.  Good thing too because we are now in Greece.  At least I only have Croatia and the first day of Greece as of now to still write about.  However, I have to get up at 6:30 tomorrow, so I’m going to get some sleep and I will update at a later point in time.  I’m still having a blast, but I miss everyone and hope you’re all having a fabulous summer.  Also, be prepared to see lots of pictures and videos when I get home because I am documenting as much as I can.

From the ship docked at Piraeus, Greece, Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment